iPod nano bursts into flames. Apple pays $7,400 to buyerA court judge in Japan ordered Apple to pay the amount of $7,400 to a client whose first-generation iPod nano burst into flames during charging. The device caused serious injuries to the plaintiff’s wife. Later, Apple offered to replace all the 1st generation iPod nanos.

After a literally “hot” incident in In Japan, Apple must pay the equivalent of 7,500 dollars to a man whose iPod nano caught on fire while it was charging. The man’s wife severely burned her hands during the incident.

Apple says that even if it can happen that, iPods, bursting into flames is rather a rare event. What makes it possible is the overheating of the battery, which happens with old iPods. A posting found on the Apple official website, it states that “in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.”

The company added that the issue was traced to a certain supplier that had produced the batteries with a malfunction. Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Additional information regarding the replacement can be found on the website.