A 3-year-old girl died in Stockton, California, during a routine dental work, which implied teeth pulling and cap placing. The coroner’s office has yet to pronounce the cause of death, while the parents are in shock.

The tragedy occurred on Monday, June 19, when 3-year-old Daleyza Hernandez Avila was taken by her parents to the Children’s Dental Surgery Center in Stockton. According to the mother, Araceli Avila, the little girl was administered a sedative before the procedure and was left alone with the medical team in the room. None of the family members was allowed inside due to sterility precautions, Avila told Fox 40. She explained that it was recommended to her by the doctor that Daleyza undergo surgery for two molars, two teeth removed and two teeth capped.

“All I did was I took my daughter to the dentist because they were going to fix her teeth, and about 30 minutes later they brought her back dead”, the teary mother recounts, sobbing.


Parents Araceli Avila and ose Hernandez say their daughter was vivacious and healthy.


David Thompson, the administrator of Children’s Dental Surgery Center, said that the situation was difficult and that throughout his career at the hospital, he has never been confronted with a similar case.

Due to the fact that her heart had stopped during the procedure, doctors believe that she may have had underlying health issues. Daleyza’s mother says her daughter was healthy.

The medical team that was with the 3-year-old during the procedure included a dentist, an anesthesiologist and two assistants.

The family is awaiting the results from the coroner’s office. Meanwhile, the Dental Board of California issued a statement in which it stated “an investigation is underway”, adding: “Consumer protection is the board’s highest concern and we want to extend our deepest sympathy to the family.”

Stockton Police has also opened an investigation, though they state that, for the moment, the circumstances of the little girl’s death are not qualified as suspicious.