Inflammation occurs when the body perceives an external factor as a threat to its integrity (an allergy), or a trigger that is already in the body, which it tries to prevent from expanding (an infection). While medication is often prescribed, here are 5 easy ways to get rid of inflammation in your body that you can do at home:
- Sleep with your head elevated – this is an efficient method of prevention inflammation of the nose, when you have a cold, an allergy, non-allergic rhinitis and other conditions that cause a stuffy nose. Stack two pillows to sleep on comfortably and you will be able to sleep through the night. As you have guessed, this method applies only in inflammation causing breathing problems.
- Avoid sugar – most of the foods and beverages you find in the city are filled with sugar: sodas, coffee-based drinks, juices, baked goods, alcohol, not to mention candy and cakes! Cooking at home ensures your sugar-free diet. Replace sugar with healthier versions: honey, agave syrup, or stevia.
- Foods to avoid – limit the quantity of dairy products, meat, salt, gluten, alcohol, processed foods and beverages that you eat. Foods to consume more of: focus your diet on vegetables and fruit, nuts, fish and whole cereals.
- Exercise – exercising even as little as 30 minutes per day improves blood flow, lymph circulation and boosts the immune system, thus sending the brain the command to get rid of inflammation throughout the body because the body is prepared to fight.
- Relax – everybody knows the meaning of the word “relaxation”, but does little to apply its meaning into their everyday life. Here is what you can do in only five minutes: mediation. You can find a place where to sit (or stand) comfortably anywhere – the bus, the office chair, the couch. The singe important rule is to keep your back and your neck straight. Then think of nothing for as long as you can. Thoughts will come and go, don’t interfere with them. This takes exercise, but you can master this in a matter of days. Another thing you can do is do a breathing exercise. You can try the following: inhale for 4 seconds, hold breath for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, hold breath for 4 seconds. Repeat.
These 5 easy ways to get rid of inflammation in your body can be followed every day, no matter how busy your schedule is. They do not replace medical treatment, however, when you will see significant improvement, you can talk to your physician to lower the dose of the prescription pills.
You might also like to read: Add these anti-inflammatory foods in your diet ASAP!