Canadian actor Albert Schultz allegedly sexually assaulted and harassed four actresses on 30 different occasions, CBC reports. Each of the four has separately filed a lawsuit against the 54-year-old earlier this week.
Following the harassment stories coming out in the media about him, the Canadian actor stepped down from the Toronto-based Soulpepper Theatre Company’ board. He issued a statement on the matter, saying that he was the subject of “serious allegations” and he does not intend to take them lightly. “Over the coming time period, I intend to vehemently defend myself”, his statement read.
Albert Schultz stepped down from his position in the company after Soulpepper issued a statement in which they instructed him to renounce his responsibilities in the company immediately. The statement was issued just hours after the lawsuits were filed.
The four women who claim that have been harassed one way or another by Schultz have filed their lawsuits on Wednesday, January 3. The papers describe the actor as “a serial sexual predator who…had well-developed methods for targeting actresses and luring them into situations that he considered optimal for sexually harassing and assaulting them.”
Moreover, the name Soulpepper Theatre Company has been mentioned several times in the lawsuits as the facilitator of Schultz’s predatory behavior.
Patricia Fagan and Kristin Booth are two of the actresses who brought to court the predatory behavior of Schultz. They told their stories to journalist Anna Maria Tremonti on CBC Radio’s The Current, on January 4. They talked about 30 different incidents which happened over the past 13 years.
“The cycle of abuse was constant”, Booth said.
“It turned pretty dark, pretty fast, in that he started to become very… pretty abusive and bullying in rehearsals”, said, Fagan.
“He was very good at breaking you down and building you back up to the point where you almost needed him”, Booth added.
You can read and listen to the full interview here.